.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On Beyond

I'm a hack. If you want a good blog, go to my wife's blog

08 April 2005

Sacred Earth



"The Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and the man became a living being." Genesis 2:7

Yes, what is more sacred than the earth. The Lord God created it, and by His hands man himself was created from it.

I live on a 40 acre farm. I've lived here only 7 months. Let me start at the beginning, so you understand. I bought 30 acres with the intention of building a house on it. Shortly before we started building (actually, the day before we went to drop $3000 on a set of plans), the neighbors called and said that they were selling their house. They had 37 acres with a house and some barns. We bought 10 acres, including the house and 3 barns in various states of disrepair.

So, I've been with this land for about a year and a half, and living on it for about 7 months. And I love this land.

It struck me that 39 of the 40 acres have a similar monetary value to that one other acre. Heck, one quarter acre holds almost the value of the other 39 3/4 acres. Why? Because 1/4 acre holds a house. A house? Worth more than the land on which it stands? Absurd! Obscene! I can live in a thatched house, but do not take from me my land. You can have my house, my pianos, my stereo, my couches, chairs and tables. But leave me my land. It is the land that is invigorates me. It is the land which sustains me and my family. It is the land which which is sacred.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home