.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

On Beyond

I'm a hack. If you want a good blog, go to my wife's blog

15 October 2005

Liberal Media?


You know, the conservatives have an awfully good time claiming that the media is bent hard left. Okay, maybe so. The funny thing is that I keep hearing this from the same group. "Fox news is taking viewers away from all the other channels". "Fox news rocks like Slayer". "Fox news will be elected the next president of the United States". Okay, my conservative friends. Which is it? Is the media a bunch of communists, or is Fox news the biggest thing in the media world? What I think is so amusing about the claim is that amongst the "mainstream" media outlets, Fox is the most explicitly biased. But even if it is "fair and balanced", if it is the biggest thing going in the media, then the media really isn't all that left leaning, now is it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ezzie said...

You miss the whole point. The majority of the mainstream media is to the left: CNN, ABC, CBS, etc; FOX is such a huge draw because people are looking for places where the news is not as biased in its presentation.

21 October, 2005 14:50  
Blogger Stephen said...

Um. No - you miss the whole point (this is my blog, I make the points here). See, the point is that those who hold to the "The mainstream media is all to the left" story are playing a classic marketing game - say it enough and everyone will beleive it is true. I don't argue that there is something of a liberal bias in many media outlets. However, it is a leaning, not an unbridled left wing propaganda machine. Fox, on the other hand, is very nearly a propaganda machine for the republican party. Since it would be absured not to recognize Fox as mainstream media, then the whole thing has something that in some obscene way can be considered a "balance". As for me and my house, we will follow NPR for our news. Well. I will anyhow. And various other media outlets. Suffice to say, it won't be Fox.

05 November, 2005 20:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home